Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Help From An Orthopedic Surgeon

Playing sports is often fun until there is an injury. Some injuries can be walked off with a little pain medication and rest while others might require seeing an orthopedic surgeon.
Any time that you notice swelling, pain and bruising associated with an injury, then it's best to get the area looked at by an orthopedic doctor. X-rays can be done to determine the extent of the injury. Sometimes, an MRI might need to be done to look at the cartilage and tendons that are in the area. If the doctor feels that the injury is severe, then surgery will usually be scheduled.

Even if surgery isn't needed, the doctor can help with other treatments that can get you back to playing your favorite sport. This could be in the form or physical therapy that can help in moving the joints and strengthening the muscles. A cast can be applied to the area so that any chipped bones or torn ligaments are immobilized. In the event that surgery is required, physical therapy is often needed to make sure the joints and muscles don't freeze in place. Blood tests are often done to make sure you are healthy enough for surgery. You could be in a temporary cast until the day of surgery to prevent movement of the area. This is important so that you can move normally after recovering and so that you can participate in sports that you enjoyed before the injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment